It’s funny how you go through chapters in your life. They open, they close, they end with a “to be continued”….
My marriage was the beginning of a HUGE chapter. When I got my Bachelors degree, that closed a chapter that I had fought long and VERY hard for. Closing that chapter was so bittersweet and long overdue. Now, four weeks into a chapter that I never thought would even be written in the novel of my life, I can say that I haven’t been happier, prouder and more at peace with my life.
That being said, DAMN, I’m getting fat from the endless cycle of sitting, studying and snacking, my brain is exploding, I have no social life, my wardrobe is dwindling to work out clothes, because they are the most comfortable thing to wear when you sit and study for 8 straight hours, and it’s been tough connecting to students and creating new social opportunities. It has been a busy, crazy and blissful 4 weeks, and here is the summary of it all.
- Starting!!! The first day of school was so amazing. The feeling of walking on campus for the first time can never be duplicated.
- The Campus. It’s beautiful, spacious and full of bricks, art and trees.
- Meeting the students in my program and hearing what interests them, their motivations and why they are at CSULB.
- The anticipation of meeting the professors for the first time.
- The gym. Glass, brick and full of attractive people.
- The food. Great variety, tasty and reasonably priced.
- The variety of ways to get textbooks. They are expensive and heavy. Thank goodness for ebooks, book rentals, Amazon and half.com.
- There are chalkboards in bathroom stalls. So weird and so cool!
- Learning new, fun, exciting concepts and ideas. Being challenged.
- Parking. Is there a college campus where you don’t stalk a student for their parking space?
- Tuition. Tripled in the last 5 years. Less classes, more money, longer time to graduate. Booo!
- Bitter professors. See above. They are battling a lot, but really, try to understand it from our perspective too.
- My commute. Honestly, it’s about 70-90 minutes, and not THAT bad, but wouldn’t it be nice to live closer…
- Fashion choices of freshman girls! Wow, it’s either short, transparent, or….slutty.
- Fashion choices of freshman boys! It’s either grungy, sloppy or just plain dirty!
- The halls of the Kinesiology department. haven’t been renovated since the 60’s. Ugh.
- The smokers who sit right by classrooms doors. gross!
- The crazy guy who spewed his religious crap the other day.
- The other guy masturbating in the bathroom.
It’s amazing what the first four weeks brought, and if the the next two years is going to be like this- wow, this chapter is going to be one hell of a good read!